Traveling around at least 5 countries in 42 days. Exploring the world after 3 years in law school.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Neon and Techno

The world famous Full Moon Party was something I was both excited and nervous about. I had spent quite a bit of time researching and read some crazy stories of people being hurt or mugged. We were nervous and apprehensive but figured this was a once in a lifetime thing that we had to see with our own eyes.

If you've never heard of it, it's described as a techno pumping beach party with tens of thousands of people from all around the world on an island similar to a rave.

We were cautious and only took money hidden in our bathing suit tops and our cameras tightly attached to our wrists and clothes we didn't care if we ruined.

Upon disembarking our boat we were met with salesman overload. Turns out this whole full moon party is way more commercialized then anyone ever described. We each bought a pair of shorts and funny tank top to commemorate the occasion.

After getting some food into our belly we shared a "bucket" which is literally a bucket that you fill with their local rum or vodka and soda. $3 and 4 straws later we started to really blend into our surroundings when we got some blacklight body paint.

We were clearly some of the more sober ones there because we were nervous something would happen to us after all the horror stories. So sober in fact, I even convinced the nice Thai man who did my body art to let me paint a heart on his face. I think he was just happy we were able to sit still the whole time unlike most of the wasted people.

After going through "commercial row" we finally got down to the beach where immediately Kirstin and I proclaimed, "wait, this is it??". It did appear to be similar to a rave party but not at all as crazy as everyone had described. We meandered our way up and down the beach to the different music stages and played "guess what drug they're on" which was pretty entertaining.

We had some entertaining conversations and quickly realized that either we were too old or not drunk enough. Either way, we walked back towards the pier and attempted to get a boat back to Koh Samui where our hotel is located. What we were faced with upon arriving at the pier was literally a cluster of hundreds of people trying to get on any boat that arrived in the pier. I had heard about this type of crazyness and how they used to allow it. However, after a few deaths from boats capsizing filled with drugged and drunk patrons, the Thai government stepped in and heavily regulates how many people can be on the boat and all passengers must now wear life jackets. This now meant easily over a 2 hour wait since there were hundreds of people and only about 30 people fit on a boat. I quickly noticed there was a kid in the corner talking on a walkie talkie in hebrew who worked for the boat company. I went over to him and spoke with him in hebrew and he let us into the barricaded area and told us we would be on the next boat. Yay! However, the worst part was trying to get through the ridiculous amount of people on that actual pier itself in order to get onto the boat. It was a bit scary since there were no side rails but we pushed our way through. Just as I was about to get on the boat, the patrons of the full moon party really wanted to leave me with yet another great memory, a gross guy tried to stick his hand down my pants as I was pushing through to finally step on the boat. Clearly I was not having it. I immediately turned around and started yelling at him at the top of my lungs to the point where everyone was staring at me. I didn't care. What a great parting gift. Gross.

We finally got back to our hotel at about 5:30am and called it a night. We did see the sunrise which was cool, and slept in the next day until 2pm which was also nice.

Our last full day in Koh Samui involved a relaxing day by the pool followed by a nice dinner in the Fisherman's Village where we picked up our paintings! I love mine and Kirstin loves hers too :) and Brent, I don't think it looks like a guy who is stoned. I really like it and it's going front and center in our future home. Kidding. It can go in the guest room if you hate it.

We had a fabulous time at the Prana Resort and Kung was an absolutely great representative of the resort! There was nothing too much trouble and he even made sure to check on us in the early morning after our wake up call to make sure were were awake in time for our taxi to the ferry. He also always has a genuine smile on his face even after he works at the hotel 12+ hours.

Today we woke up super early (7am) in order to take a taxi, to the ferry, to a bus, to take us to the Surratthani airport. This was totally different then what the forums said as I did not expect a 6 hour voyage to get to this cheaper airport. If you ever go to Koh Samui just spend the extra $50 and fly in and out of the local airport. Unless you like taxis, a ferry, and a bus.

Next stop, Bangkok!


  1. Sounds like you're having a great time!!

  2. The dog/passed out dude pic is amazing